Sunday, October 14, 2012

Bicycle traffic counters

In the past week, I have noticed quite a few of these around Leiden.


Whenever I saw these in NY and Brooklyn, I would be deeply suspicious. Paranoid, even. I suspected that the results would be used to reduce bicycle infrastructure... so I'd roll over the counters as many times as possible. Super paranoid and ridiculous. I wonder if the city planners took that into account when looking at results. Sorry guys. I was crazed but probably not the only one.

In Leiden, I'm not sure what or why they are counting. My boyfriend speculates that they are counting both directions (two cords) on the one-way path...  so perhaps they are actually going to improve the infrastructure depending on the results.

1 comment:

  1. With two cords they can also find out the speed of traffic and differentiate between bikes and non-bikes through the pattern induced by the distance of the wheels.

    ReplyDelete