Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Amphibious bicycle

Folding bicycle and inflatable kayak, a perfect combination.

Inspired by a friend, and, because of constant envy from the crazy flotilla that goes past our apartment on the canal everyday, we've acquired an inflatable kayak. It's big enough to fit two people uncomfortably and small enough to pack and strap on to my bicycle... which is what I did for a planned kayak trip on the kagerplassen on Sunday with my friends.

Here we are alight on our journey:
On the way to the plassen
Set, Go!
Ideally, this should end with a photo of my folded bicycle inside the inflated kayak, but, unfortunately, there was a puncture! I was clumsy in my dragging/heaving attempts to dry the thing after the last paddle and must have snagged it on a splinter. I'm happy to have discovered this before getting in the water.

How many patch kits do I need to carry these days??  :)

I went home and patched it and everything seems shipshape now, so expect a photo from the next perfect day!

2 comments:

  1. You can also transport a non-inflatable kayak with a bike:
    http://kayaker.nl/kar-2.jpg

    No punctures anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome... i wonder where I'd store it in my tiny apartment though! I need a garage for all my stuff! No room for cars.

    ReplyDelete