Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Daily news - Famous!

As I was checking the Leidsch Dagblad in a fit of self-obsession last week...  (There was an interview by Journalist Frank Beijen of, well, me and this blog. It was published in the print edition, not online.
So I made a scan and re-edited the headline to read:

It's official. :P

Or you can see the full article scanned here with a lovely little lamb springing in the corner:
The actual article

)

But anyways, as I was saying, I kept checking the Leidsch Dagblad and I ended up reading this little blurb about an accident on the Rapenburg.

Not five hours later, I walked down the Rapenburg and saw the bicycle myself!

The fork came apart and appears quite rusty.

Scary!


And nowhere in the article did a helmet get mentioned.

Even the commenters only mentioned the outrage of shoddy repair jobs.

7 comments:

  1. I can only imagine what the New York / American version of the accident report would read like... something like this:

    A cyclist without a helmet was seriously injured today while not wearing a helmet. The helmetless cyclist was taken to a hospital where they were treated for injuries sustained from riding without a helmet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice artikel in Leidschdagblad, i follow your blogs always.

    gr. 'a fan'

    ReplyDelete
  3. good to see Leiden formally recognize your contribution to helmet less biking :) well deserved indeed and gefeliciteered!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm, if "zonder helm" appears three times in the article I wouldn't say that it was mentioned nowhere. But it probably got in because you think it's special :-).
    Re the accident: shows the dangers of old-fashioned technical ways called lugs, especially on forks. But Lovely Bicycle will not agree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should have read the accident blurb earlier! You were right: no helmets mentioned. But I liked the first comment: the bike you photographed had been lying there for several days and the accident happened a bit further away - and both due to a broken fork! Lugs ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. A cyclist without a helmet was seriously injured today while not wearing a helmet. The helmetless cyclist was taken to a hospital where they were treated for injuries sustained from riding without a helmet.

    That cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Something like that happened to my bicycle as well. The front fork looks identical. Luckily only one side failed, it didn't snap completely off.
    The steering did always feel a bit vague, but I blamed it on worn out bearings (it was recovered from the thrash...).

    ReplyDelete