Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Fiets en Wandelbeurs

Yay! Fiets en Wandelbeurs is this weekend.

For those of you that don't know about it, it's a convention for people who like to go on trips with their bicycles... and wandelbeurs-ers. (A word that I haven't quite figured out yet. Hikers? Wanderers?)

Wandelers?
Last year to find the RAI convention center, I remember following a hoard of hiker outfitted attendees with enormous backpacks and sensible stiff soled shoes... but once inside, I ignored most things that were not bicycle related.

In the back hall, they had a small track set up for test riding all sorts of fancy steeds. I made some videos here.
Test riding!
Also last year, I picked up some maps that I used on my bicycle trip to Antwerp and I made the poor Brompton guy fold and unfold one for me. Can you imagine how many times a day he has to do that?? Well, not for me again :) Other fun discoveries: cave-biking in Slovenia (which inspired my experience in Limburg), brewery specific bicycle routes, ortlieb bags, super fluffy bicycle seat covers and funny theft deterrent device posters.


This year, I want to learn more about camping and campsites.

Maybe the stuffed shrew will be there again.

1 comment:

  1. Please: shrew? It's a weasel. Shrews look like mice (and most species have cute orange tips to their teeth which you can just see before they bite you).
    Wandelen = to walk or hike, wandelaar (pl. wandelaars) = any pedestrian non-runner.
    Beurs (pl. beurzen) = (1) stock exchange, (2) a commercial product show, (3) a container for small change, (4, regional and antiquated) a ladies' purse - obviously a very much related word.

    ReplyDelete