Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Dam tot Dam FietsClassic

Sunday is the Dam to Dam FietsClassic. It is on the same day as a popular Dam to Dam run, so the cyclists can take advantage of the routes closed to cars, including the Ijtunnel! 

I've signed up for the 65k route, a few friends are doing the 145k... I did a few "tours" in NYC a few years ago, including the Five Boro Tour (about 45 miles) so I know 65k is doable in a crowd and still fun. Also, the Five Boro tour ended in an hour of serious rain, so I should be ready with low expectations for Sunday. It's the Netherlands, it will rain.


I'm looking forward to it!

2 comments:

  1. Do I understand it right that the 105 and 145 km riders have to wear a helmet?
    I think it's great that you have the chance to participate on this ride. I still remember going on such rides as a kid, it was fun. Unfortunately there isn't any similar event in the depressingly boring part of Germany where I live now. :)

    Nico

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nico,
    I think it's strongly recommended... Possibly mandatory, but most of the longer distance cyclists will be racer spandexy guys anyways and they usually wear helmets so it shouldn't be a big deal. I haven't decided if I'm going to locate and wear one for my slow 65k or not! I've done far more than that distance sans helmet but not while surrounded by racefietsers. It will be fun either way! :) Maybe you could start a ride in Germany? My home state of Iowa is notoriously dull, but they have an exciting bike ride every year called RAGBRAI.

    ReplyDelete