Thursday, November 11, 2010

Budapest

I'm in Budapest for a conference... and I've planned an extra day to be a tourist!
Now that I'm acclimated to riding a bicycle in all sorts of weather,
(and I noticed that cars slow down and wait for pedestrians at non-intersectional crosswalks in the Budapest city center as they do in Leiden or Amsterdam; a key indicator of safety...  in the Netherlands, I indulge myself sometimes by stepping as slowly as possible into the crosswalk/zebrapad when I see a SUV coming and inwardly smile as they politely slow down out of habit, civilization and all the state-imposed restrictions on their god given freedoms and privileges as car drivers. Ha! In New York that SUV would be speeding up to get through the crosswalk before me. And then they would sue me if I was too slow and hit the car with my body. Slowing down for a pedestrian... Fools. Oh, how I love it here.)
so I'm going to rent a bike for the day and see more sights.
I'm a little worried because it's hilly on one side of the river and although the Netherlands has made me get used to rain, I have lost all sense of elevation, steepness and my abilities in those areas.
I might get dizzy or altitude sickness from being so far above sea level. :)

4 comments:

  1. I wish you a joyful and an enjoyable time in Budapest.
    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lem!
    Thank you. It was really nice. Have you been there? I love sightseeing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been there but I hope I would drop by there the next time I go on visit to my relatives in Germany and/or Austria.
    I too love sightseeing but not in the same way as a 'normal' tourist.
    In the UK and when I'm in Austria or Germany I would cycle (with a friend or two) to a town - stay there for a few days to get familiar with the place (and people sometimes ) ... then ride to the next town or two and do the same .. then return home by biking or by train.
    On the next 'excursion' I would take the train to the last town I had visited and from there I'd visit 2 or 3 towns further afield and then return to hometown/base by train.
    For the last 2-3 yrs I have not been able to do this because of the chaotic economic state in the West and Asia - and I have to 'watch' the stock markets closely.:p Hard life when one is self-employed!!! :D haahaaaa.
    Enjoy yourself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooops, sorry ... left out a few words "On the next 'excursion' I would take the train to the last town I had visited and from there I'd visit 2 or 3 towns further afield .. ^on bikes^
    L

    ReplyDelete