Thursday, October 7, 2010

Why does the goose cross the road?

Inspired by a video that I saw on facebook of a norwegian cyclist encountering two young mooses (meese!) during a ride on a highway (unfortunately I cannot repost here) I decided to stop and film the geese on my morning commute to work.

These geese usually sit around looking like lawn decorations at a home on one side of the street. This home also has an impressive gnome statuary, so they fit in nicely.

However, this morning they were standing on the side of the street staring across but not moving... until I stopped and dug out my camera. Then they began to move toward me!
Scary!
These geese are huge and fearless... and apparently expect snacks for their services in amateur videos. I had no snacks. I am rightly afraid of goose-bite so I slowly backed up behind my bike for protection. The geese gang drifted and rested on a drempel for at least a minute before finally moving out of the way of a car and it's increasingly irate driver.

6 comments:

  1. We noticed a bunch of geese hanging out with some Herons and swans in Oosterpark in Amsterdam while we were there, but they thankfully never came after us :) They seemed fairly contented to just hang out and squawk :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should pay a visit to the Slimbridge Wildfowl Trust near Bristol in England. They have a collection of all ducks, geese and swans in the world, many of which roam free within the park. During winter thousands of migrant geese and swans join the melee, so if you go there you are literally swamped in mostly geese of all colors, shapes and sizes. And they have absolutely no fear of people. Works wonders for people with anserophobia (or chenophobia if you prefer the Greek version).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does any of them lay golden eggs? Am 'looking out' for one that does! :D
    Lem

    ReplyDelete
  4. On my visits to the Netherlands I noticed that Dutch Geese are intimidating and demanding of snacks! I had one nip my pant once, but luckily it didn't get me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Among domestic fowls the goose (/gander) is the (more) aggressive one. I remember warning my visiting cousins, when we were young, about their getting their eyes too near to a goose.They also do chase people around trying to peck at them - a common trait among them I suppose.
    Lem

    ReplyDelete