Monday, March 15, 2010

Filet American

This mystery product is called "Filet American."
The Dutch like to spread it on bread.
It is made of raw processed beef.
I noticed it months ago and only worked up the courage to buy it recently (it was on sale) but have yet to try it. Last night, I bought several beers for my boyfriend in the hopes that he'd be drunk enough to taste it and describe it. Alas. I fell asleep and it was still unopened in the morning.






















My next tactic is to try and draw him into a bet that he will surely lose; my wager, tasting the Filet American.

Rule #1. Participants must have different wagers.

If that doesn't work, I will have to wait for a visitor. Any takers?















It can't be worse than Marmite...

UPDATE.

Tonight, over some belgian beers at the pub across the street, I said the word 'imputation' in conversation. I immediately felt that it was a made up word combination of implication and reputation. My boyfriend expressed similar doubts. I remembered my Filet American tactic and I challenged him to a friendly wager.
There was nothing I could do to get him to accept 'tasting the Filet American' as my winning bet.
No potential act of mine was worth tasting the Filet American if he lost.  He even attempted to check his ipod touch for the answer before agreeing to the wager.
I cried foul.
Finally, he agreed to spread the Filet American on some bread and maybe sniff it, but that was all.
I did sincerely doubt that 'imputation' was a word at this point, but I also knew from many years of scrabble,
that everything is a word.

Anyways.
















I sniffed it. It didn't smell like anything.

5 comments:

  1. Keep up the posts. It's fun to hear about your experiences and helps me relive my short time (18 months) in NL. And thanks for the taal links for learning Dutch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny how you find Filet Americain (yes, not Dutch, but French) so daunting ;)

    'Traditional' add-ons:
    - chopped up onions (some supermarkets/brands include them)
    - salt and pepper

    trust me :)

    (PS: I love it)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would imagine it'd taste like korean yukhoe, or a steak tartare. Top it with some chopped scallions, kosher salt and a raw egg, I bet it's very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will stop being stupid and try it :) NO raw egg though. That's too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am 1/2 Dutch, 1/2 American. Born in Holland and my family then moved to Texas at my age of 10. I LOVE Filet Americain, it is a must on my list when I go visit Holland!

    ReplyDelete