Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Bike locks

My bike chain lock is like a necklace or a bracelet. I bought the most common one for sale at the store. It's light, comes in a variety of colors and has an attached fastener.
Here it is as an anklet:

















I don't know why I even bother... oh, yes I do. I'm paranoid.

Most people only use the "o-lock." It's attached to the back wheel and pushes a little bar through the spokes to make a complete O upon itself. It is effective at preventing the bike from moving, unless someone picks up the bike and carries it to a nearby van. But that never seems to happen... despite my being told that bike theft is soooo common here. Ha. Look at that dinky little cable lock. Ha ha ha.

















This bike, in spite of it's paint job, would be gone within minutes in New York. Just for practice.

Check out this silly little lock. (and the "o-lock" under it.)
















Ridiculous.
It must be worse in Amsterdam. There's a market for
"High-Tech Antitheft Bicycle Spray"  
Be sure to look at the other pretty bikes on that site.

5 comments:

  1. I tried the bike spray. Works wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see some pretty light locking up of bikes here in Denver too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, cool post. I'd like to write like this too - taking time and real hard work to make a great article... but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though. online triathlon coaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Useful and informative blog sharing. Good idea about bike lock. Bike lock is best way to secure your bike safety.

    ReplyDelete